Friday, January 30, 2015

Tiny Houses

So, we watched this really intriguing documentary on Netflix about people who live in tiny houses.  "Tiny" meaning about 100 sq ft...some a bit more, and some a bit less.  But tiny nonetheless.  Perhaps because I am so drawn to simple living, I found it to be an amazingly interesting documentary.  My children actually got a bit concerned that I was planning to uproot them again and build a tiny house to live in!  Needless to say, I'm outnumbered, with only one child who is very interested in such a unique concept.  So, no, I'm not planning to do this, but I did very much love the simplicity of lifestyle it represented.  And, who knows...perhaps one day I will need this information (for living in a tiny apartment in a foreign country or something...ya never know what God may have planned, but if it involves a tiny house, I'm good).

Fast forward to today.  I had a meeting at a ministry in town this morning.  So, when I got back to my nest, my youngest daughter was involved in pretending under our dining table.  I peeked in to see what world she had created under there today, and she was very happy to show off her "tiny house."  Oh, I had to smile that she had grasped the idea of a tiny home and was making her own!  

So, here she is all decked out in her leopard print pants (she has a style all of her own!) inviting me to see her tiny house...


And what else is a pretty girl going to decorate her tiny house with?  Pearls and sparkly purple shoe laces, of course!  


Oh, and crayons up in the "rafters"...important to use every extra bit of space in these tiny houses, right?


She points to her "bedroom," complete with cowgirl hat, naturally (she's taken to Texas like a duck to water).  Big sister peeks in to see what's new under the table (always something new!).


And that reminds me...  The big kiddos have been working on a "tiny house" of their own making.  Here's their model of a southern plantation.  It's coming along beautifully, and they are gaining a working knowledge of the master house, slave houses and other specifics of plantation life.



 And there you have it...a brief tour of tiny houses.  Now, seriously, go check out that documentary.  You, too, may be taken with the idea.  ;)