Tuesday, October 1, 2013

We Just Never Know

Just a week after burying our son Elijah, we found ourselves sitting at a restaurant...our table right down on the banks of a local river.  My parents had come into town and had offered to take care of our children while we had some reprieve.  It had been one of the worst weeks of my life...discovering no heartbeat on the sonogram and then a domino string of events that left my son in a tiny coffin and his mama sitting at a restaurant a week later trying to make sense of life.  

Our waitress must have been hand-picked from Heaven.  God must have chosen her Himself, because she bubbled over warmth and love.  I cannot even remember much about that night, but I remember her.  I was sitting there feeling empty and overwhelmed as the world around me was going on as if nothing had happened.  Though my outsides looked normal, my heart was gaping wide and dripping lifeblood.  And this waitress stranger heaped doses of warmth and a love that I knew was other-worldly.  She was God's vessel, and He was right there on the bank of the river at that table with the amazing dishes and tiny white lights.  He was right there pouring out a tangible warmth that I desperately needed. And this waitress didn't know. 

A year later, we visited the same restaurant, and I found that waitress and told her how she had been such a balm to my spirit in such a trying time.  With tears in her eyes, she hugged me.  She repeated a few times that she had no idea.  But me…I remembered.  And today, six years later, I remember the love God poured out through her.  

Sometimes we just never know.  We may never know how far reaching the ripples are of the tiny pebbles we toss towards others in life.  We may never know the trial of another's soul...the havoc they are feeling at home...the utter loneliness they feel in their lives no matter what they look like on the outside.  We may never know what salve we are applying with a simple encouraging word.  We may never ever know how other-worldly our love may feel to someone who is seeking God and finds Him nestled somewhere inside of imperfect us.




The water of Yellowstone Lake looks very placid and inviting.  A van load of excited children couldn't wait to kick their Crocs off and jump into the water.  "I can't wait to say I have been swimming in Yellowstone Lake!!"

The initial thrill soon wore off, and reality brought teeth to chattering and feet being nicked by rocks.  A casual glance cannot tell the temperature of the waters.  And what is below the surface is not always obvious.  

But what is below the surface is there, whether we see it or not.  


  
When we see the smiles...when we see someone who looks like he has it all together...when we see the outside all shiny and seemingly fine...let us not forget that under the surface may be some gaping holes and needy hearts.  Under the surface may be someone who needs desperately to feel God's love all fluid and tangible.  We really just never know when we have been hand-chosen by God to be His essential touch in someone's life.