Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Clearing our Land

I find it intriguing how what is going on around me is often a reflection of what is also going on inside of me.  It seems as if oftentimes the spiritual is expressed in the physical.  For example, when we spent 5 years living in the desert, I went through a spiritual desert experience...dry, thirsty, weathered.  Then we moved to our little house in the woods, which was situated down in a little hole of sorts, and it was there that I went through a long valley experience.  It's hard to tell from the outside what is going on on the inside, so this valley was known only by me.  Then God began to bring to my attention many verses about moving me, and then He led us straight to Texas Hill Country.  And this time, it's not a desert, and it isn't a valley.  Our home sits atop a hill overlooking Hill Country.  It's beautiful, and a constant light breeze rises up the hill and across our property.  

I stand at a new place in my life, and I look out across this breath-taking land, and I wonder what God has in store for me here and what this season will hold.  And, I find it intriguing how once again the goings on in my spiritual life are reflected in what is happening around me.  For the past year, I have made notes of the many Scriptures God has brought to my attention, and a running theme is obvious.  (If you aren't in the habit of writing down what God brings to your mind and what Scriptures He gives you, you really need to get a notebook and keep track.  It will amaze you as you see it repeating certain things.)  And for the past year, in Scriptures He's shown me, books I've read, and sermons I've heard, He continues to bring the theme of rebuilding the ruins, replanting the desolate places, setting the captive free.  
     

We needed to bring in people to clear our land here on the hill.  And for one long day, they worked.
On the upper part of our property, they uprooted trees and removed brush and anything that wasn't useful.  I stood on the back deck and watched, and that still voice of my Shepherd spoke of the uprooting in my own life...the many years of knocking down.  The desert and the valley were both seasons of knocking down, clearing out, dropping me to my knees, grating to the bare ground.




The following day after the land was cleared, an off-and-on gentle rain created the perfect conditions for burning the piles of brush and trees.  I watched those flames, and I remembered the prayer I had prayed several years ago, asking God to knock me down to nothing and then build me back the way He chose to.  I had no idea then how long that process would take and how intense it would be.  And it all was pictured right there in that fire on our hill.




It smoldered for what seemed like forever, often reigniting even in the rain.  Some things just don't go down easily.  To be utterly consumed takes time.


When the landscapers came back, they were able to bring in a Bobcat to level a huge section of land.  You may see ugly dirt, but my eyes of faith see a fertile Back-to-Eden garden overflowing with homegrown goodness.  It's there, though I cannot yet see it.  Because...understand this: the deserts appear, and we stumble through them...and the valleys come, and we walk through shadows.  And then our Shepherd places us in a place filled with brush and bleak dirt but whispers into our spirits that the desolate one will have a new name...she will be called Care For and Not Deserted.  And He knocks down the brush, burns the briers, consumes to ashes.  And then He levels the desolate land and breathes into us the hope of the future replanting.  It IS coming.  He's faithful.


And simultaneous to our land-clearing was also our dog situation.  Our 2 labs moved onto our new property only to find no fence.  So, weeks of waiting on a fencing company to get around to us meant that our dogs spent much time in their kennel.  Though we walked them several times each day, the confinement of their small kennel was difficult.  I leaned down to speak to them quite often about their future fenced yard, but they lost much pep and spunk while being in their kennel.  Again, this was such a reflection of things going on inside myself.


But God is good, and one day the fencing people showed up, and the fence I had been promising our dogs soon took shape.  And it happened quickly.


On the day that we could finally let them run loose in their new fenced area, the younger dog ran and ran with such spirit that the children and I couldn't help but to laugh.  My daughter said, "I hadn't realized how sad Macy had become until I saw her so very happy in her new yard."  It's words like these that hit me sometimes.  Sometimes we too are imprisoned somehow.  Cells come in all shapes.  But God is a Deliverer.  He sets the prisoner free.  And when He brings that release, our hearts thrill, for freedom is indeed a powerful force.


 I'll close this with a handful of photos from the most recent birthday celebration.  Here's my Asian princess discovering crepe paper to help decorate.


Birthday boy chose his meal to be grilled steaks, mashed potatoes, garlic tomatoes, homemade rolls and a fruit salad with mangoes, kiwi and strawberries.  The birthday person is always given the choice to have whatever meal they want...at any restaurant or at home.  I find it interesting that not one child has ever chosen a restaurant meal for their birthday.  They always want something at home.  Home has a strong pull on the heart.


Big sister surprised him with a spider-themed treat.


And look at his reaction to the cake that big sister baked and decorated for him!  Seriously priceless.


Lovin' how the sports mode on the camera will get great action shots like this one...


And this, my friends, has been just a slice of what is going on in our world.