Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Farmhouses and Other Favorite Things

My mom's favorite movie has always been The Sound of Music, so I grew up singing all those songs that Maria sang.  Her advice when feeling sad?  To sing about your favorite things, of course.  I thought about that today, and I began to pull up in my mind some favorite things...  Sorry...no singing from me...but lots and lots of favorite things...

Hot tea with milk and syrup...a new box of crayons...kittens...mini chewy Sweet Tarts...quilts...my grandmother's old dishes...the sound of children giggling...friends who go deep...adoption...hot fudge cake...the smell of fireplace smoke in the air...old friendships...organic gardening...Baylor football games...the north Georgia mountains...the smell of homemade bread..anything having to do with homesteading...personal faith...excellent literature...the woods after it rains...fresh sheets right out of the dryer...creamy butter straight from the farm...sincere words from someone who loves me...vibrant colors...tea pots...books, books, books...Texas...multi-colored leaves in the fall...fields of wildflowers in the spring...the smell of packages my parents send in the mail...notes from my children...the Anne of Avonlea movie...love...farmhouses...

The thought of farmhouses returned again and again to my mind.  I would love to have one of these on some land where I can play with some gardens, take long walks and make homemade everything.  I don't know if God's plan for me includes this.  So long ago, I asked Him to please give me a farmhouse in Heaven when my work on earth is finished.  I've asked Him to fill it with orphans who will no longer be orphans in Heaven.  I imagine a giant front porch with rocking chairs and a swing.  And there I will someday know forever love...where there is no hurt or tears...where there are lots of long walks with those I hold dearest.  I imagine Heaven will have new lands to explore and exciting new things to discover...and an eternity to simply love.  Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  And so eternity and that farmhouse fill my thoughts...