Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Four Children

They truly are some of the most interesting characters on planet earth.  Three the fruit of my womb and one the fruit of my heart...all my own children.  And they intrigue me.  

A couple of days ago, they all came down to breakfast dressed in their World War 2 era clothing (most created by the biggest sister).  "We're the Pevensie children."  So Narnia it was.  They spoke in British accents and played their parts as Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy...all children in one world and yet brave warriors for Aslan in the other.


They played outside until it was too hot and then came inside for a game of hide and seek "just like they did in the book."  The rushing of footsteps up and down stairs intermingled with the British accent counting as the others hid.  And I was struck with how very delightfully intriguing these children are.  Dancing between the world of make-believe and reality, weaving the two together seamlessly.  "Because we really are warriors for Aslan."  Yes...they are right...I've prayed their whole lives that they'd be warriors for God and His Kingdom work.  And they pretend it, weaving and weaving it into the fiber of their beings.

Even warriors have to stop to play Twister.  "It's not in the book, but it's a fun game."


And they include little sister in the fun.  She spouts out her pretend name with pride: "Lucy!"  And she reaches for the circles, not yet knowing left and right but thrilled to know her colors.  And the bigger Pevensies cheer her on.  Because love doesn't see color, and love doesn't count chromosomes.  Love invites and includes and cheers on.  This simplicity is refreshing.  And they play on...


These children are simply interesting...all of them.  They are intriguing to talk with and be with.  They have depth and personality and perspective that has been shaped by excellent literature and missionary biographies and grandparents who take the time....and a God who knows what He's doing when He creates an individual so uniquely.  They have a Mama who fails more often than she cares to ever admit, and I stand humbly in awe of how these creatures are truly works of art...ones I could never, ever have created.  They are HIS work.


There are days when my patience runs thin and days when grace is held back in tightened fists.  There are times when I forget to smile or cheer or soothe or embrace...days when I fail miserably at doing the role only God can do (will I ever get the fact that I'm not meant to do His job?)...days when I forget to breathe and enjoy the fleeting moments.  These are the days I haven't entered into His rest, ceasing from my own work in the flesh...days when I haven't taken Him at His word to make all things work together for our good.

And then there are days when I do get it...when I do stop and take in the moments, wanting them to last and last.