Wednesday, April 24, 2013

For the Lord and Not For Men

"Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically,
as something done for the Lord and not for men, 
knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord.

You serve the Lord Christ." (Colossians 3:23-24)

WHATEVER YOU DO...


YOU SERVE THE LORD CHRIST.


And this is enough.  

My Mama reached down frantically to pull me out of a pool when I was 3 years old.  I had fallen in accidentally and flailed my arms and filled my lungs with water to bursting.  But she saved me and turned me over and shook the water clear out.  Air rushed in...life with it.  Mamas are like that.  And she found me again nearly 4 decades later, struggling for air, flailing my arms, forgetting who I was created to be and drowning, having failed too many times.  She reached in, pulled me out, shook the notions clear out and wrapped me in the never-failing prayers that only a Mama can offer on behalf of her cubs.  The suffocating water trickled out and fresh air found its way in, and a good night's sleep ushered in this reality: YOU SERVE THE LORD CHRIST.  The freedom spread down to my toes...this amazingly light and refreshing reality that somehow had slipped from my grasp.

Whatever I do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men. 

And this really IS enough.